Nicholson’s Cemetery, near Kashmiri Gate ISBT, was the starting point of the walk. One is greeted by deafening noise of the traffic at the bus stand and the chattering of monkeys as one approaches the entrance. Both are a permanent feature. We looked at British officer John Nicholson’s grave and that of Master Ramchandra of Delhi College. Nicholson’ Cemetery is in a much better condition than the Lothian Road cemetery. The latter is completely neglected; never mind ASI’s notice proclaiming it to be a protected site. The boundary walls of the old city of Delhi, Shahjahanabad can be seen adjacent to the Kashmiri Gate metro station. Some restoration work seems to on at Kashmiri Gate itself. This is one of the 4 surviving gates of old Delhi. Just a little ahead is the Lal Masjid built by a lady in memory of her husband who worked under Mughal Emperor, Aurangzeb. This neighbourhood is the approximate location of James Skinner’s estate. We now have old Hindu College & old St. Stephen’s College buildings here. Skinner’s church still survives though. St. James church is a beautifully preserved building, probably the oldest church in Delhi. William Fraser & Thomas Metcalfe, the Residents of Delhi & James Skinner are buried in the churchyard. St. James Church also has Skinner’s family burial ground. We then walked towards the Residency building, traditionally believed to have been Dara Shukoh’s library. This is where the first British Resident, David Ochterlony lived. Very close to the Residency is the telegraph memorial and remains of the British magazine when was destroyed in 1857.
(posted by Rajesh Ranjan & Kanika Singh, team members, Delhi Heritage Walks)